Please use this section as a guide only.

The advice we give all artists is to speak directly with a professional visa agent and connect with artists that have successfully toured to the countries you are looking to perform in.

Give yourself plenty of time for the application process as it can take months to process.



Work Permit For Performing Artists

The Work Permit for performing artistes allows foreign performers to work in public entertainment outlets such as bars, hotels and nightclubs.

Who it is for   

Foreign performing artistes working in eligible public entertainment outlets.

Who can apply          

An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply for the permit.

What is the duration

Up to 6 months.

For more information: click here


Performance/Entertainment Visa

Members of rock bands or similar groups, including non-performing members accompanying the group (e.g. tour managers, sound technicians, etc.), must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a visa.

Entertainers who are travelling to Japan to dance must also obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a visa. Classical musicians, members of symphony orchestras, theatre groups, opera singers, professional sportsmen or women (golfers, tennis players surfers, etc.) , professional car racers and motor bike riders (including non-performing members accompanying the racers or riders such as car mechanics, trainers, etc.) who have been invited to Japan either to perform publicly for remuneration or to participate in a competition must also obtain visas. These applicants, however, may, in the place of a Certificate of Eligibility, present the following documents to apply for a visa.

1. A valid passport
2. Evidence that you hold a valid Australian visa. This may be obtained by visiting the VEVO Section of the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
3. One completed visa application form(Sample)
4. One passport sized photo (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2in. x 2in. (taken within the past 6 months))
5. Flight details (full flight details from an accredited travel agent or airline)
*We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we do require a confirmed reservation. We are not responsible for tickets which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
6. Contract of employment
7. An original Letter of invitation from Japan
8. An original Letter of guarantee from the promoter or agent in Japan
9. Original documents regarding the business operation of the promoter or agent in Japan:
a) transcript of corporate registration
b) certificate of payment of corporate tax
c) balance sheet and profit & loss statement
10. Schedule of performances in Japan
11. A list of all visa applicant

Please note that if an applicant is unsure as to what category he/she falls under, the applicant should contact the visa section directly to save time and avoid confusion.

Telephone assistance is available from the Embassy Of Japan in Australia on +61 2 6273 3244, Monday-Friday, except holidays, from 9:00am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm if you have any enquiries.

For more information: click here


China Work Visa (Z)

Chinese work visa, or Z visa, is issued to foreigners who are going to China for a paid job offer or to undertake commercial entertainment performances in China.

This Z visa itself only allows a stay duration of 30 days from the date of arrival in China, during which time you and your employer must seek a Temporary Residence Permit for the duration of your contract, to a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of 5 years. Note that usually the work visa is a single entry, with the duration of stay being 000, which means the duration is to be determined by the Temporary Residence Permit you get after entering China.

For more information: click here

As an Australian resident, you are taxed on your worldwide income. This means you must declare all income you receive from foreign sources in your income tax return.

Foreign income you receive as an Australian resident may be taxed in both Australia and the country from which you received it. Since the processes of paying tax on your touring income will differ from country to country, Sounds Australia strongly recommends speaking to your accountant and reading official government websites to find out exactly what you need to do.

If you have paid foreign tax in another country on foreign income you received, you may be entitled to an Australian foreign income tax offset.

Australia has tax treaties with more than 40 countries. Tax treaties are also referred to as tax conventions or double tax agreements (DTA). They prevent double taxation and fiscal evasion, and foster cooperation between Australia and other international tax authorities by enforcing their respective tax laws.

Australia has also entered into a number of tax information exchange agreements to promote international cooperation in tax matters through the exchange of information.

For more information, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.